Computer systems are generated from an intricate interrelationship between administrators, users, employers, other network sites and the providers of software, hardware, and national and international communication networks.
The demands upon the people who administer these systems are wide-ranging. As members of that community and of SAGE-AU, we have compiled a set of principles to clarify some of the ethical obligations and responsibilities undertaken by practitioners of this newly emergent profession.
We intend that this code will emphasise that we are professionals who are resolved to uphold our ethical ideals and obligations. We are committed to maintaining the confidentiality and integrity of the computer systems we manage, for the benefit of all of those involved with and affected by them.
No single set of rules could apply to the enormous variety of situations and responsibilities that exist, but while system administrators must always be guided by their own professional judgement, we hope that consideration of this code will help when difficulties arise.
CODE OF ETHICS
As a member of SAGE-AU I will be guided by the following principles:
- FAIR TREATMENT: I will treat everyone fairly. I will not discriminate against anyone on grounds such as age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race, or national origin.
- PRIVACY: I will access private information on computer systems only when it is necessary in the course of my duties. I will maintain the confidentiality of any information to which I may have access. I acknowledge statutory laws governing data privacy such as the Commonwealth Information Privacy Principles.
- COMMUNICATION: I will keep users informed about computing matters that may affect them - such as conditions of acceptable use, sharing of common resources, maintenance of security, occurrence of system monitoring, and any relevant legal obligations.
- SYSTEM INTEGRITY: I will strive to ensure the integrity of the systems for which I have responsibility, using all appropriate means - such as regularly maintaining software and hardware; analysing levels of system performance and activity; and, as far as possible, preventing unauthorised use or access.
- CO–OPERATION: I will cooperate with and support my fellow computing professionals. I acknowledge the community responsibility that is fundamental to the integrity of local, national, and international network resources.
- HONESTY: I will be honest about my competence and will seek help when necessary. When my professional advice is sought, I will be impartial. I will avoid conflicts of interest; if they do arise I will declare them.
- EDUCATION: I will continue to update and enhance my technical knowledge and management skills by training, study, and the sharing of information and experiences with my fellow professionals.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: I will continue to enlarge my understanding of the social and legal issues that arise in computing environments, and I will communicate that understanding to others when appropriate. I will strive to ensure that policies and laws about computer systems are consistent with my ethical principles.
- WORKPLACE QUALITY: I will strive to achieve and maintain a safe, healthy, productive workplace for all users.
You can download a printable version of the SAGE-AU Code of Ethics is found here.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.
SAGE-AU is a national organisation, with state chapters/regional groups across Australia. Our elected Management Committee, the National Executive, sets goals and policy for SAGE-AU overall.
Regional groups organise monthly meetings for all members and guests. These meetings often feature invited guests speaking on topics of interest to System Administrators. For more information on times, dates and locations for Regional Chapter meetings, please click onto the preferred State and you will be provided with the State's Executive Committee members; plus any events or activities.
|Regional Group||Meeting day||Locations|
|Australian Capital Territory||Canberra|
|New South Wales||3rd Tuesday||Sydney|
|South Australia||Last Tuesday||Adelaide|
|Western Australia||1st Tuesday||Perth|
Due to a current supply problem we have suspended the SAGE-AU merchandise for sale, for the time being.
SPECIAL DISCOUNTED OFFER - $15 PER POLO SHIRT
However, we are currently carrying stock of Black and Green polo shirts sized L and XL. All have the SAGE-AU logo and all are currently being offered at the discounted price of $15 each plus postage. But you need to be quick if you want one as it's "first in best dressed" and when they are gone they are gone - for now anyway.
To place an order please complete the Order Form.
ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
The SAGE-AU articles of association are available for download here.
SAGE AU is affiliated with the following groups